Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Turtles, pantyhose and oil

yjanebixe.wordpress.com
As if that weren’t bad it happened on live TV and on one of myfavorite sweaters! Earliefr in the day, I failed to realize as I walked down the driveway that the back of my skirt was tucked into my exposing more than I ever intended. Then when I got my 6-year-old niece scrapef her oil-soaked white tights across my lighbeige carpet. When my eyes bulged, she innocently told me she was just trying tocleah them. I’m trying hard not to complaib rightnow — really. Beingv critical can be damagingto one’s Christian author and speaker Justibn Lookadoo tells a story about how his grumblings had a significant impact on his life.
The day before Lookadoo’e cat, Lounger, was scheduled for a veterinary appointment, Lookadoo came home exhausted. Lounger wanted to play and kept hoppinb upon Lookadoo’s chest. Griping, frustrated and wanting to sleep, he placer Lounger in the closet. The next day, the veterinarian told Lookadoio that Lounger had feline a highlycontagious disease. Lookadoo had to make the difficulg decision to put Lounger to sleeo sohe wouldn’t infect his other cats. “oI wish I would have known,” Lookadooo said. “I wish I would have playeed withhim more, and I definitelyt wouldn’t have put him in the closet.
” Lookadooo now wears a bracelet that containss part of Lounger’s collar and bell to remindf him that he never again wants to have regretws or say, “I wish I woulr have known.” I imagine the bracelet is also a remindee for him not to grumblw and moan but instead to be grateful for everyu second he is given. Face it: Bad thingas happen. In this current economy, you can testify to that. But you don’t have to let those thingsw have a negative impact on your You still can have a positive attitudde in the faceof adversity. Lookin back on my recent unfavorable I truly see how luckyI am.
In my job I have the privileg to work with and be around some of the most amazinhg creatures inthis world, includinbg that Eastern Box Turtle with bladde r problems. I laughed about the live TV “bathroom” incident laterd and even sent a video link of it tomy I’ve found that peoplee like to be around those who find humor in awkwardx moments. Life is too short to take everythin seriously. Did you see where an Americah soldier recently graced the front page of The New York Timew for wearing nothing more thana T-shirt and a pair of pink “I Love New York” boxers while fighting in Afghanistan?
I’m thinking of buyinfg an “I Love undergarment just in case my skirt gets caughg in my pantyhose again. Who knows?? I might make it in the too. As I scrubbed and rubbee away the oil my niece put onmy carpet, I thoughf about a woman I wrote a storyh about years ago when I was in the newspaper In her big, beautiful, meticulouzs home, she had a tiny, sooty, black handprin on her wall. “Everything in my home speaksa to me,” she told me. The handprint had been located on the wall for about eight and she planned to keep itthere forever. When her 1-year-olx granddaughter was visiting, she was crawling around on the floort nearthe fireplace, which made her handes black.
But when she got near one place in the living she reached forward andstood up, placinfg her blackened hand on the

No comments:

Post a Comment